Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Bohemian Rhapsodies or What I Should Have Turned In As An English Paper 20 Years Ago

Late in the fall of 1989 I was a lonely seventh grader laying across the very back row of seats in my mother’s minivan. My right leg was hoisted in the air as I had just twisted my ankle in gymnastics class and during the ride home I found solace in the idea that the pain I was experiencing in that moment would only serve to make me more interesting the next day at school. My entire existence at the time was a struggle to become interesting enough to conquer the many different ways in which I was experiencing pain. Then suddenly, for the first time since cliques and boys and the need to fit in had overtaken my life, I was jolted out of thoughts of inadequacy. Five minuets and fifty five seconds of music mesmerized me and when it was over I sat straight up and asked, “What was that?” Queen changed my life that night. The story of a poor boy who nobody loved woke me up to the fact that beyond the confines of what other people thought about me there lay a world of beauty waiting patiently for me to take notice, and that thought I may have felt like I was the only person in the world who didn’t have a place I was far from the first person to ever feel that way. Since then Queen’s music has excited and comforted me and will no doubt accompany me along rest of my journey. So Brian, Rodger, John and Freddie please know; there are many times you still make me cry, and every time I hear one of your songs I always smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment